Critical Blood Shortages Across the DC Metro Area – Blood Donors Needed Now to Meet Patient Care Needs
Sterling, VA – The Washington, DC region is experiencing critical shortages of red blood cells. All donor blood types are needed currently to help ensure patients from Northern Virginia have what they need to heal. Donors are needed as soon as possible to re-stock the supply. Inova Blood Donor Services provides blood to many hospitals across DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
Each unit of blood can save up to three lives. Donation time, including registration and post-donation snacks, usually takes less than one hour.
An inventory report issued on June 25 shows a shortage in every blood type category, particularly A Negative, A Positive, O Negative, and O Positive.
Upcoming Blood Donation Events
Wednesday, June 26:
- Dine & Donate at Woodburn Donor Center (4 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Inova Fair Oaks Hospital (9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
Thursday, June 27:
- Brooke Grove Retirement Village – Sandy Spring, MD (1:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Fortis College – Landover, MD (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- Woodburn Donor Center – Annandale, VA (12 noon to 8 p.m.)
- CentreMed Donor Center – Centreville, VA (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Friday, June 28:
Beach Towel Giveaway at all Inova Blood Donor Centers
- Dulles Donor Center (6 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Woodburn Donor Center (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- CentreMed Donor Center (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
# # #