Christy Lormel has almost 12 years of experience in clinical research, health promotion, health education, and program management, Christy has been with Inova Health System for 8 years and Inova Well for almost 4 of those. In her spare time Christy enjoys teaching barre and yoga as well as spending time with her husband and 3 little ones.
Making a dinner plate should be easy, right? But it’s not. If you are like me you could live off noodles or potatoes and be perfectly happy. Eating the correct amount of vegetables is much easier said then done, especially when raising three children who may have their own idea of what is appropriate for dinner. Please kids, enough with the chicken nuggets already!
I have to make a conscious decision every meal to make sure my plate is balanced and I’m eating the right items. I want to make sure I am fueling my body with what it needs; not necessarily just the junk food I want.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) recommends at least half of your plate be fruits and veggies. Starting with this may be an easier way to ensure you get the recommended amount. It’s easier just to heap on a pile of rice and add veggies as an afterthought, but if you start with the veggies you don’t have to worry about making room at the end.
Need help adding veggies to your diet? Try these helpful tips below!
- Try making smoothies! Adding spinach or another leafy green to a smoothie can often mask the taste while ensuring you get the greens your body craves.
- Use spices! Adding different spices out of your cabinet can flavor a vegetable in a way you might not even know was possible.
- Use dipping sauces. Try making a sauce of oil and vinegar and dipping your veggies in there!
- Try juicing. Maybe a veggie and fruit juice in the morning is your way of getting in those greens
- Throw them in with other foods. If you’re used to eating pasta with chicken, why not throw in some veggies?
Whatever you choose, make sure it works for you! If you’re having a hard time deciding how to make the correct food choices, Inova Well can help! We not only offer seminars on nutrition but have health coaches who can give you individual attention you deserve to better help you on your nutrition journey!
Contact email@example.com to get started your wellness journey, TODAY!