Tips to ease your skin’s transition to cooler, drier weather
The change of seasons brings changes to our skin. Fall’s cooler, drier weather can cause dehydration, irritation and sensitivity. Here are some simple tips to keep your skin looking great as temperatures drop:
- Use a humidifier to put moisture back into the air. Keep it near your bed to get the benefits while you sleep.
- Upgrade your moisturizer. Look for products with ingredients such as squalene, vitamin E, hyaluronic acid and ceramides. Apply moisturizer over a vitamin C serum. Don’t forget to treat the area around your eyes with an eye cream appropriate for your skin type. Dry skin makes fine lines and wrinkles look more prominent.
- Decrease the use of retinol and alpha hydroxy acids. These ingredients can dry the skin, so cut back to one or two days a week to avoid irritation.
- Use a gentle scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. Avoid aggressive scrubs, which can damage the skin. Apply a hydrating facial mask after exfoliation for maximum effectiveness. Perform this combination treatment one or two times a week.
- Don’t forget sunscreen! Apply a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 every day, rain or shine. Remember to reapply every two to three hours.
- Regular facials nourish and defend against dry, irritated skin. They’re also a great way to relax and recharge.
An effective at-home skincare routine paired with professional treatments can keep your skin healthy and happy.