Sabrina Jawad is a Licensed Master Aesthetician at Inova Medical Spa in Ashburn, VA. She has nine years of experience and extensive knowledge in administering varying results-driven aesthetic services including laser hair removal, IPL, eMatrix, chemical peels, and restorative facials.
Glycolic Acid: The Ultimate Exfoliant
In the beauty and spa industry, glycolic acid is known as the ultimate exfoliant. It has an array of skincare benefits and can be used by nearly everyone, regardless of age or skin type – even those with sensitive skin. Here’s what you need to know:
How does glycolic acid work?
Extracted from sugar cane, glycolic acid’s tiny molecules allow it to penetrate to the subcutaneous layers of the skin. It helps to break down sebum – a natural oil on the surface of the skin that is often trapped in pores – and other substances that make the top, dead layers of the skin. Glycolic acid promotes the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin – yielding a younger, more radiant appearance.
How do you use glycolic acid?
Depending on your particular skincare concerns, glycolic acid can either be used as an at-home skincare product or applied at our Medical Spa office.
- Using glycolic acid treatments at home: One of our favorite at-home skincare products containing glycolic acid is OBAGI® C Exfoliating Day Lotion. This product can be added to your morning skincare routine under your favorite sunscreen. It has been clinically tested to reduce fine lines and wrinkles while improving skin tone and texture.
- Having glycolic acid applied by a professional: Glycolic acid can also be professionally applied in-office by a licensed master aesthetician or medical provider. These treatments contain higher percentages of the active ingredient.
Benefits of glycolic acid
- Improves uneven skin texture ( bumps under the skin, flakiness, roughness)
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Improves and brightens the skin’s tone
- Helps to eliminate and prevent blackheads
- Deeply cleans pores
To determine the best skincare products and treatments for your individual needs, we recommend scheduling a consultation and VISIA Skin Analysis with one of our licensed master aestheticians. Please call 703-554-1130 to schedule.