Only hospital in the region to be nationally ranked in both women’s and children’s care
FALLS CHURCH, VA – June 10, 2014 – Today, U.S. News & World Report released its annual Best Children’s Hospitals rankings, citing Inova Children’s Hospital as 42nd in the nation in Neonatology. This year’s Best Children’s Hospitals, the eighth annual edition, showcases a mere 89 of the nation’s hospitals that excel in treating the most critically ill children and infants and were ranked in at least one of the 10 specialties that U.S. News analyzes.
“We are extremely proud at Inova Children’s Hospital to be ranked among the best in the nation, especially as we commemorate the 40th anniversary of the NICU,” noted David Ascher, MD, Chairman of Inova Children’s Hospital. “I’d like to thank the physicians, nurses and staff of our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for the exceptional care that they provide the Capital Region’s critically ill and premature infants.”
The Level IV NICU at Inova Children’s Hospital provides care for babies born at Inova Women’s Hospital, as well as the premature and sick infants who need the highest level of neonatal care from throughout the region. Inova Fairfax Medical Campus, which is home to both Inova Children’s Hospital and Inova Women’s Hospital, is the only medical center in the Washington Region with national U.S. News rankings in both children’s (42nd nationally in Neonatology) and women’s (19th nationally in Gynecology) care. Additionally, the hospital was named the region’s top hospital in the most recent U.S. News adult hospital rankings.
This national ranking showcases the 50 top-ranked neonatal centers and 83.3 percent of each hospital’s score is based on data collected from a detailed U.S. News survey of children’s hospitals. This includes information on breast milk at discharge, 30-day readmissions, incidence of bloodstream infections and patient volumes. The other 16.7 percent reflects how many of 450 neonatal and perinatal specialists responding to surveys in 2012, 2013 and 2014 recommended the hospital for serious cases.
The complete rankings and methodology are available at http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.
Media Contact: Allison Kenty, 703-776-3365
U.S. News & World Report is a multi-platform publisher of news and analysis, which includes the digital-only U.S. News Weekly magazine, www.usnews.com and www.rankingsandreviews.com. Focusing on Health, Personal Finance, Education, Travel, Cars and Public Service/Opinion, U.S. News has earned a reputation as the leading provider of service news and information that improves the quality of life of its readers. U.S. News & World Report’s signature franchise includes its News You Can Use® brand of journalism and its annual “Best” series of consumer Web guides and publications that include rankings of colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, mutual funds, health plans and more.
Inova is a not-for-profit healthcare system based in Northern Virginia that serves more than 2 million people each year from throughout the Washington, DC, metro area and beyond. Inova is a comprehensive network of hospitals, outpatient services and facilities, primary and specialty care practices, and health and wellness initiatives.
Inova encompasses the full array of health services, including the area’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). We are home to many nationally and internationally recognized programs, including Inova Heart and Vascular Institute (IHVI), Inova Translational Medicine Institute (ITMI), and the Inova Dwight and Martha Schar Cancer Institute.
Inova is a global leader in developing and applying personalized health. Connecting researchers, clinicians and empowered consumers, we integrate genomic research for patient care, prevention and wellness. Our personalized health approach enables individuals to live longer, healthier lives.
More information and statistics about Inova is at www.inova.org.