Curbing Influenza exposure top priority
FALLS CHURCH, VA – (January 11, 2013) – Due to the outbreak of influenza (flu) throughout Northern Virginia, effective January 11, 2013, all Inova hospitals have instituted temporary changes to their visitation policy. The following measures apply until further notice. Patient care companions are exempt.
- No visitors under the age of 18
- No visitors with any symptoms of influenza-like illness
- Two blocks of visiting hours – from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Visitors will be limited to two persons
- Visitors may be issued masks or other protective clothing for use when visiting
- For *Women’s and Children’s Units additional measures may apply.
- Patient care companions are exempt
*Please note Inova Women’s Hospital’s (at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus) visitation guidelines:
- Visitors will be limited to spouses/significant others and grandparents only.
- Spouses/significant others will be exempted from limits to visiting hours
- With the exception of Labor and Delivery, grandparent visitation hours: 11am-1pm and 6pm-8pm.
- All visitors may be screened for flu-like symptoms.
- High Risk Perinatal unit- additional measures will apply based on a case by case approval by physician.
“These temporary measures will help protect against influenza infection of the most vulnerable among us, including inpatients with compromised immune systems as well as our caregivers,” observed Dr. Loring Flint, Inova’s Chief Medical Officer. “We appreciate everyone’s consideration and cooperation as, together, we work to assure the health and safety of our community during this challenging flu season.”
For more information on Inova flu vaccination clinics, please visit “Inova Schedules Additional Flu Vaccination Clinics”
Inova is a not-for-profit healthcare system located in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, serving over two million people with over 1,700 licensed beds based in Northern Virginia. Inova consists of five hospitals including the area’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care unit. Inova encompasses many health services including the nationally and internationally recognized Inova Heart and Vascular Institute (IHVI), Inova Translational Medicine Institute (ITMI) on genomics, Inova Neuroscience Institute and Inova Children’s Hospital. Inova’s mission is to improve the health of the diverse community it serves through excellence in patient care, education and research. More information and statistics about Inova is at www.inova.org.
# # #