Final Update: 1:30 p.m. EST, December 10, 2013:
- Inova Medical Weight Loss classes and evaluations are cancelled
- Flu Clinic at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital is cancelled
- All Life with Cancer program and classes are cancelled following Fairfax and Loudoun County public schools
- All Inova HealthSource Childbirth Education classes and maternity tours have been canceled a due to inclement weather
- Epic classes at Falls Church training center are canceled due to inclement weather
Loudoun County also provides safety tips in preparation of shoveling wet, heavy snow. “One full shovel load can weigh as much as 25 pounds. Special attention is needed to avoid back injuries associated with shoveling heavy wet snow. To help prevent injury or illness:
- Stretch before you go out. If you go out to shovel snow, do a few stretching exercises to warm up your body.
- Avoid overexertion. Cold weather puts an added strain on the heart. Exercise such as shoveling snow or pushing a car can bring on a heart attack or make other medical conditions worse.
- Drink water, stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol or caffeinated drinks.
- Pace yourself by taking frequent breaks to gently stretch your back, arms and legs.
Remember to remove snow that is covering fire hydrants. In the instance of a fire, firefighters need to be able to quickly locate the fire hydrant, or lives and property could be lost. Businesses are also reminded to clear the areas around emergency exits to ensure their customers can exit safely in an emergency.”
In preparation for the snow storm that is forecasted to begin this evening and continue through Tuesday, December 10, 2013, please remember roads and sidewalks can be slippery and slick even if they don’t appear that way. Please drive slow and cautiously and wear weather appropriate shoes or boots.
We encourage you to stock up today on winter preparedness emergency supplies and other preparedness items, such as extra batteries in case of power outages, make sure your cell phones are charged and purchase a charger for your car if you don’t already have one. Purchase rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Sand also is helpful to improve traction. Make sure that snow shovels and other snow removal equipment are in a convenient place and ready to use if necessary.
Also, don’t forget your pets — bring pets/companion animals inside; move other animals to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.
Cancellations and delays on December 10, 2013 due to forecasted inclement weather:
- Ask the Expert Lecture: “Advanced Treatments for Knee Pain” with Dr. Stinger that was scheduled on December 10, 1:30 p.m. at Tysons-Pimmit Library
Cancellations and delays on December 9, 2013 due to inclement weather:
- All Inova HealthSource Childbirth Education classes and maternity tours have been canceled
- EpicCare classes are on a two hour delay
- Joints in Motion class is cancelled at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital