Updated as of 10:45 a.m. EST, March 17, 2014:
Cancellations and delays on March 17, 2014 due to the forecasted inclement weather:
- Inova Weight Loss Services’ “Journey Together” support group is cancelled tonight due to inclement weather.
- InovaCares for Women & Children clinics will open at 12 p.m. due to inclement weather.
- Inova Medical Group primary care and specialty practices will open at 10 a.m.
- Inova HealthSource New Moms Group (6315 Beulah Street, Alexandria, VA 22310) is canceled due to inclement weather.
- All Inova Healthsource community health education classes are canceled. Information about Inova Healthsource class cancellations due to inclement weather are provided by calling 703-698-2444.
- Inova Fairfax Gift Shops: The gift shop located in the Tower opened at 9 a.m., the gift shops located in the lobby of Inova Women’s and Children’s Hospitals and Inova Heart and Vascular Institute will open at 10 a.m.
- The Inova Medical Group – Gainesville Sneak Peak Tour and Ribbon Cutting & Open House events will be rescheduled. A new date and time information will be sent later this week.
- Alert from Metrobus: Metro plans to restore bus service as of 11 a.m. but will have snow detours in effect, meaning that many Metrobus routes will have planned snow detours in effect to keep buses off of hilly terrain, narrow side streets and other problem areas. Most, if not all, Metrobus routes are expected to operate under the moderate snow service plan. Learn more
The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington has issued a Winter Storm Warning for which is in effect from Monday, March 16, 7 p.m. – March 17, 2 p.m, 2014.
We encourage you to stock up today on winter preparedness emergency supplies and other preparedness items, such as extra batteries in case of power outages, make sure your cell phones are charged and purchase a charger for your car if you don’t already have one. Purchase rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Sand also is helpful to improve traction. Make sure that snow shovels and other snow removal equipment are in a convenient place and ready to use if necessary.
Also, don’t forget your pets — bring pets/companion animals inside; move other animals to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.